Rudall River/Telfer mine road/Kidson <span class="highlight">track</span>(<span class="highlight">Wapet</span> road)

Hi,

We already prepared to visit Rudall River NP in WA. Most questions are answered. We know how to go there but not exactely how to leave.
It depends on weather, time etc. and we try to decide on site:
- Telfer mine road: is it nessessary to contact Telfer mine in advance to travel Telfer mine road? Is it possible by e-mail or only by fax or phone?
Or can we decide spontaneously?
- Kidson track: I can´t find actual informations about the track. Was anyone there last months and can tell me something about track conditions or any other important informations?
- Kunawarritji-community: in exploroz-track note I can find the information that it is sure to get enough diesel for refuelling. Do I have to order diesel in andvance, for example by phone etc., or isn´t it nessessary?

Thank you for your help.

Petra from Gemany

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Marc Luther B (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 01:29

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 01:29
Hi Petra

You will find that 99.99999% of the time they have fuel at Kunawarritji. There would be no sense ordering it in advance, as they always have it for locals (they also hold some back if getting low, for local people.

If you can give me some idea as to when you may be planning for your trip, I will contact my nephew there and he will give me accurate information, but in general, as I said, they have diesel fuel and opal (a petrol substitute that cannot be sniffed).

Cheers
Why travel overseas, you could travel Australia your entire life, and not see it all.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 433514

Follow Up By: Petra F - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 01:53

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 01:53
Thank´s for that good information....we´ll plan to travel there first part of November means in 3 to 4 weeks.

cheers
FollowupID: 704425

Follow Up By: Member - Marc Luther B (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 02:24

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 02:24
Hi Petra

May I advise you to first check with the vcarious locations along the route that you intend to take. We have been having very unseasonal weather this year, and at the moment (today) many of the roads are exteremely wet and boggy.

I acually pulled 3 vehicles out of bogs yesterday (When I was travelling back from Kununurra), fortunately they were not badly bogged, else I may not have got them out.

I have not been down to Well 33 (Kunawarritji) for a while, so I cannot tell you first hand what the roads are like, and I do not like give second hand information.

Have you maybe considered finding out the fuel consumption for the vehicle you intend to use, and perhaps planning to carry sufficient fuel in Jerry Cans for the journey (it is exepensive on the CSR). I always advise people to carry 10% - 15% more than they think they need "just in case".

Cheers
Why travel overseas, you could travel Australia your entire life, and not see it all.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 704431

Follow Up By: Petra F - Wednesday, Oct 20, 2010 at 03:38

Wednesday, Oct 20, 2010 at 03:38
Hi Marc,

Yes, we heard about the strange weather in this moment and also last month.
Last years we travelled in centre of Australia in October/November several times and it was always difficult with checking the rainfall.
We are very careful with checking track conditions in advance and if not sure we didn´t do the track. There is always a plan B or C etc.
But I hope that minimum we can make the Rudall because it´s a plan since years.
Actual we are planning to take 220 l diesel with us, it´s a Landcruiser, our experienced consumption for this section is about 13 l, but we are planing with 15 l. You are definetely right to carry more than we think. A lot of things may be happend.

cheers
FollowupID: 704562

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 01:36

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 01:36
Hi Petra, you don't need to notify anyone re the Telfer Road, and for a dirt road, it is really excellent. Autobaan almost! You do need permissions to travel off it to Telfer minesite locations.

There are fairly recent reports on this site re KidsonTrk. Try a search.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 433515

Follow Up By: Petra F - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 01:57

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 01:57
Thank´s for info about Telfer road.
ok..Kidson track search I will start directly...recent reports are what I´m searching for.

cheers
FollowupID: 704426

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 07:02

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 07:02
Petra

Check these links. I have 30 or so blogs up on Rudall and the surrounds.

Rudall - Blog Search

Rudall River 2009

Here is also my track condition report from August 2010

2010 Tracks

Hope this helps.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 433521

Follow Up By: Petra F - Wednesday, Oct 20, 2010 at 03:55

Wednesday, Oct 20, 2010 at 03:55
Very interesting blogs....whow...I´m afraid there´s not enough time for reading all interest things....

tks
FollowupID: 704563

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 07:31

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 07:31
Hi Petra,

Not sure of Telfer mine Rd, i actually thought, as per instructions on Hema maps for area, that travellers were required to advise the mine and request permission to travel, i may be wrong though.

As for WAPET Rd (Kidson Trk), I travelled that Rd in July of this year from West to East, starting just near the turn off to Eighty Mile Beach and ending at Well 33/Kunawarritji.

The Western end was quite over grown and slow going, although nothing to technical about the drive, some corrugations but not extreme, expect bush rub marks down the side of your vehicle.

The Easter end opened up more, less scrub and bush protruding accross the road and still some corrugations but driving to conditions as they present themselves made it not uncomfortable, again, nothing to technical about the drive.

We took 2 and a half days to traverse the track at a comfortable pace and stopping at various spots of interest for breaks, lunches and sightseeing. There was good camping the first night at a rocky knoll about 250 odd Km's from the start with plenty of firewood and the second night camping at the Telfer bore where the Telfer mine rd meets the kidson with god drinking water at site and again plenty of firewood.

Kunawarritji community had a well supplied general store, very friendly people and diesel was $3:20 a litre however we didnt need to refuel there as we had enough to get us to Kintore where fuel was substantially cheaper at $1:60 per litre.

Average fuel consumption for Kidson Trk was 8.5 Km's to the litre and we were loaded up with about 800Kg's of gear.

In general, it was a fantastic drive through some amazing country along a good rd with plenty of areas to go around the washouts and a lot of the time done in 2wd. clearance is necessary however due to some of the washouts and some sand near the various dunes. Becareful especially on the Sth side of the dunes as thats where the majority of washouts were.

Hope this is of some assistance.
AnswerID: 433523

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:06

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:06
The Rudall Access Road has been changed. Up until 2008 you actually had to pass through a Mine security checkpoint. This has now been moved back several kilometres towards the mine. When driving along the road, there is a very large and well signposted intersection that steers you south to Rudall and the Kintore Uranium Mine lease. It is major hall road now down past the northern hand pump and almost to the front security box of the Kintore Lease itself. The road to Rudall and DQB etc spluits off to the left only a few km above the DQB turnoff. I have an exact waypoint that I'll post when I get home. The road is in its usual sandy state from this intersection south into Rudall. (Driven July 2010)

Don't forget to visit Xmas Pool on the way down. It is hard to pick up the track off to the left as it is not sign posted but I will post the turn co-ordinates tonight.

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 704455

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:09

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:09
Forgot to mention that there is great Telstra 3G reception in the vicinity of the mine for internet and phone calls if need be. I've even had one of my ravel companions tell me that he picked up the Telfer 3G at Desert Queen Baths due to his big areal but I reckon he may have been on the sauce that night ;-)
Besides....he drives a Hummer!

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 704456

Follow Up By: Petra F - Wednesday, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:10

Wednesday, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:10
Hi TonBon,

Very, very helpful your report of Kidson track...yes, that´s what I hope to find there.
But shocking: diesel price at Kunawarritji is crazy..ok, it´s on the CSR
I´m astonished about the distance you made. From Eighty Mile Beach to Kintore, that´s a distance without any refuel.
How much diesel you carried with you? And which car you used?

cheers

FollowupID: 704565

Follow Up By: Petra F - Wednesday, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:25

Wednesday, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:25
Hi Mick,

Tks for your description of Mine security checkpoint and waypoints will be helpful.
Xmas Pool is part of our plans up from now.

cheers
FollowupID: 704566

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 20, 2010 at 05:25

Wednesday, Oct 20, 2010 at 05:25
Hi Petra, no problem at all, my pleasure. Yes, fuel in those parts in general is very expensive, but remember, these are some of the remotest, inhospitipal parts of the Australian outback. Just getting the fuel trucked there is a logistical challenge to say the least.

I drive a 2009 Isuzu D-Max (same as the Holden Colorado, not sure what it would be marketed as in your part of the world). It has a 3.0 Litre Intercooled Turbo Diesel engine and is renowned as one of the best fuel economic vehicles in its class. I have a 125 Litre long range tank fitted plus i carry an extra 50 Litres of fuel in a single tank on the tray next to where my rooftop tent is mounted.

If you need any further info send me an email to tbonnice@gmail.com and i will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Tony
FollowupID: 704572

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 09:23

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 09:23
Telfer don't want to know about you on the road. Watch out for BIG rigs on that road though.
Last time we were there (in '08) they were also preparing to move the security gate to the mine so that tourists could avoid the gate to go to the Rudall River NP.
The security gate could be contacted on UHF40 from the top of the hill as you approach from the east.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 433532

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 09:26

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 09:26
There is also Telstra NextG reception from the top of the hill......

Cheers,
Peter
FollowupID: 704447

Reply By: Member - David G (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:36

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:36
Hi Petra please be aware that the build up to the wet season has started which means extreme heat and humidity and the chance of heavy tropical storms which as stated can mean impassable roads and the Kidson track is a road that sees very little traffic at this time of the year so if conditions hold you up make sure you are prepared it is not that long ago that there was tragedy on this track at this time of the year

regards Dave
AnswerID: 433542

Follow Up By: Petra F - Wednesday, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:57

Wednesday, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:57
Hi David,

Yes, you are right with your warnings. But we don´t have to do this track. It really depends on weather and track conditions and we´ll check it before starting.
Rudall River we really want to visit if everything is open, but how to leave is not clear. Possibilities are same way back to Newman, way out via Telfer mine road direction Marble Bar or Kidson track.
Nothing forces us to go Kidson track, we are variable.
We don´t want to put ourselves in danger.

Thank you
Petra + Manni
FollowupID: 704569

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 14:33

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 14:33
hi petra
the others have covered everything but just want to warn you to carry plenty of water and and food and that the desert temperatures could be high 30's through to high 40's + at that time of the year and it can be unforgiving country if something goes wrong

not many australians travel that area at that time of the year because of the heat and the risk of heavy seasonal rains
so your vehiclesmechanical and cooling system will need to be in excellent condition it would also be advisible to carry a uhf radiowhich can be hired if you dont have one
as mobile reception is limited to only a few places mentioned by others on here
and carry spares drive belts tyre repair kit and plenty of spare fuel etc
as it's very remote out there with no repair centers and costly if someone has to come and get you
cheers hope you enjoy your adventure
AnswerID: 433558

Follow Up By: Member - Marc Luther B (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 16:24

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 16:24
Hi Mazcan

Just a thought. If one is going to hire a means of communication, why not just a satellite phone. There is not always someone around for UHF reception, and with a satellite phone, you can locate your GPS accurately, and then make your call. I always carry a Thuraya that I own outright, but then I rarely have need to use it, and they line is only about $90-00 a quarter, so relatively inexpensive.

Cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 704490

Follow Up By: Petra F - Wednesday, Oct 20, 2010 at 05:26

Wednesday, Oct 20, 2010 at 05:26
Hi mazcan,
Ja, we know it´s not best time of traveling there. And we don´t have to force it.
We´ll use a satellite phone and carry an epirb with us, but if all conditions not ok we won´t do it. There are some possibilities for our trip and we have to decide on site.
Adventure only if assessable, not forced.

Hope, Rudall will be feasible minimum, more is great, less not a disaster.

cheers
FollowupID: 704573

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 20:45

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2010 at 20:45
Hi Petra

We travelled through and re-fuelled at Kunawarritji on our way east to Alice Springs last year. We did not go south to Rudall River attractions. I selected Kunawarritji and Kintore for refuelling and telephoned both before setting out to advise our diesel requirements and approximate time frame. Both said there would be no problems with supplies and gave me their opening times. As aforesaid, at $3.20 per litre, Kunawarritji is one of the most expensive, but it is convenient for those taking the Canning Stock Route Trek. We had to wait quite some time for service as there was a long queue of people doing the Stock Route also wanting fuel. They do not take credit card. We always carry enough cash for fuel from the desert community stores such as this.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 433601

Sponsored Links